My goodness, mothers we take them for granted. I hope my mother knows I love her. I take a moment to stop the world and put something together to remind her how special she is to me.
Here’s my make for Mothers Day a box of chili chocolates.
First make the truffles, recipe at the bottom of the page.
Use thin paper to cover both halves of a box. Thick paper will make it difficult to put the lid on later.
The take on the box is mine, it’s about what I have in my stores, find beautiful paper, make it from the heart.
If you like decorate the box.
A heart doily squirreled away for just such an occasion. Fold a circular doily to fit in the lower half, or lovely crunckly tissue paper.
Fill with homemade truffles.
Beautiful box needs no wrapping, tie with ribbon or string.
- 400g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- 1/2tsp chilli flakes
- 250 ml double cream
- 20 g butter
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Line a square baking tin with bakewell paper.
- In an electric coffee grinder or pestle and mortar grind together spices.
- In a pan warm cream with ground spices, add butter to melt and leave to infuse for a couple of hours. Taste and check intensity of spiciness.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and put in a deep bowl over a pan of boiling water, melt chocolate making sure the base of the bowl is well clear of the water.
- Take melted chocolate off heat, pour cream into chocolate and stir together.
- Pour into lined tin and refrigerate.
- When chocolate is set remove from fridge and break into shards.
- Sieve a couple of spoons of cocoa powder into a plastic bag. Drop in all the shards of chocolate and jumble about to dust evenly. Keep in bag in fridge and take out servings as you need them.