Olives from Spain challenged bloggers to come up with some winning festive olive marinades, to get us into the mood we were sent hampers full of goodies including olives to play with, thank you!
I wanted an olive marinade to sum up Christmas, spicy and fruity without becoming a Terrys chocolate orange. A little clementine zest goes a long way, be cautious with it, to balance it out and give it a bit of a wake up kick I added a few black peppercorns. Warming the oil with the spices speeds up the flavouring process, so you can eat the olives tonight. They’re great if you need to quickly whizz up a present, put them in a jar add a label, all done! Include some bread as well for tearing up and dunking in the flavoured oil. And of course now I have engaged the brain all I can think is olive marinades, so there’ll be more along at some point.
Green Olives Marinated with Coriander
- 50g stoned green olives in brine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1cm long strip of Clementine peel
- 2tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 0.5tsp crushed black pepper corns
- 3 bay leaves torn
- 100ml olive oil
- In a pestle and mortar lightly crush the coriander seeds and black peppercorns.
- Peel the garlic, cut into large chunks and bruise using the pestle and mortar
- Pour oil into a small pan and add the flavourings.
- Put the pan on a low heat and warm gently to just above blood temp.
- Leave to infuse for about an hour.
- Drain the olives from brine, then rinse and drain on kitchen towel.
- Tip the drain olives into the flavoured oil and leave to marinate for a couple of hours.